September 28, 2012

Squash Fajitas

At our local Mexican restaurant I have ordered the same thing (with only slight modifications) for the last 6 years that I've been in Ohio - Lunch Vegetable Fajitas. I've gone through a period of adding grilled chicken to it. At other times, I've asked for the refried beans to be held, and at others the rice. Almost always, the quantity of vegetables is enough that I ask them to hold the tortillas. During my chicken days, friends and colleagues and even clients, who've been to this restaurant with me, have asked me why I don't just get the 'chicken fajitas' instead of the 'vegetable fajitas with chicken' - the reason was simple - the vegetarian dish came with zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes and mushrooms vs. the chicken fajita, which came only with peppers and onions. Being the veggie fan that I am .. it always made sense to get the dish which had the most veggies for me. 

Squash Fajitas
I tried today to replicate this dish at home and it was quite surprisingly - super easy :)

Prep Time: 10 min

Ingredients:
  1. 1 small Zucchini, sliced
  2. 1 small Summer squash, sliced
  3. 1 Yellow Onion, sliced
  4. 1 tsp Garlic powder
  5. 1-2 tsp Cumin powder
  6. 1/8 cup Vegetable broth
  7. Salt & Pepper, to taste
Directions:
Line a large skillet on medium-high heat with vegetable broth and add garlic and cumin powder. Once the broth comes to a boil, add the vegetables and mix in. Cook on medium-high heat for a couple minutes until the onion becomes translucent and the squash are slightly cooked, and is all but gone. Serve hot with warm tortillas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment