November 15, 2014

Steel Cut Oat Bean Chili

One of my favorite vegan chefs out there, Chef AJ, shared a recipe on Facebook for a Steel Cut Oat Bean Chili. The picture itself oh so appetizing. The recipe was super simple. It looked like it would come together is around 30 minutes. The temperatures have been dropping all week and today .. snow was coming down in gentle flurries all day long. It was a perfect day for a bowl of chili. I even had all the ingredients on hand. It was meant to be :) 

Adapted from: www.sheknows.com (original recipe in OATrageous Oatmeals, by Kathy Hester)


Prep Time: ~25-30 min

Ingredients (Serves 4):
  1. 2 cups water 
  2. 1.5 tsp Better than Bouillon Vegetable Base 
  3. 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
  4. 1 tbsp Oregano
  5. 1.5 tbsp Ground Cumin
  6. 1 tsp Smoked Chipotle Chili powder
  7. 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
  8. 1 (14.5 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed 
  9. 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed (or 1-1/2 cups homemade)
  10. 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  11. 1 cup frozen corn
  12. 1.5 tsp Liquid smoke
  13. 1 tsp Freeze-dried Cilantro leaves (or fresh)
  14. Juice of 1/2 a lime (optional)
  15. Salt, to taste
Directions:
I pretty much followed the directions on the sheknows.com website with the exception that I did not wait for the oats to be completely cooked before I added the rest of the ingredients. I let everything cook together which blended the flavors much better in my opinion. Bring the water and vegetable base to a boil in a heavy cast iron pot (I used my Le Creuset). Add oats, bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium and allow to cook for a couple of minutes. Then stir in remaining ingredients, bring to a boil again and reduce heat to low, cover with a heavy lid to prevent excessive evaporation and serve when the oats are completely cooked (about 20 min). I forgot to use the lime juice listed in the original recipe. And with the vegetable base I used, I didn't even need to add salt to this recipe. It turned out great!!


My Assessment: This chili was really good. I love using different grains in my chili recipes and hadn't used Oats until now. The recipe was so simple, even with my couple of substitutions and additions, anyone could throw it all in a pot and have a wholesome dinner in half an hour!! A+++ 

Nutrition Facts (Per Serving): Calories 242 (Fat Calories 19)
Total Fat 2.1 g; Carbohydrates 44.7 g; Fiber 9.8 g; Sugars 3.5 g; Protein 12.0 g


If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out my Recipe Index for more Whole-Food, Plant-Based, No-Added-Oil recipes. You can also like Rugrat Chow! on Facebook. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment