April 15, 2012

Turmeric Spice Rice

Rice, especially Basmati Rice is the most common form of starchy cereal in Indian cuisine. In Northern India, wheat and whole wheat flat bread (Chapati) are used extensively, but rice still remains an important part of each meal. It can me eaten steamed and plain with curries and dals and is often also used as the main course, in the form of pilafs, which may include lentils, beans, vegetables and even meat. I use steamed rice extensively and last night decided to give my steamed rice a little antioxidant boost - the result - Turmeric Spice Rice ... came out exceptional. 

Turmeric Spice Rice
Prep Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
  1. 1 cup Basmati rice
  2. 2 tsp Turmeric powder
  3. 10-15 Black Pepper corns, whole
  4. 2-5 Bay leaves, whole
  5. 4-7 Cloves, whole
  6. 2-3 Green Cardamom, whole
Directions:
Rinse rice in ample amounts of water. In a deep stock pot, add rice, with all the spices (and no salt) and bring to a rolling boil.  Cook until rice is done (do a quick bite test!) and then drain the excess water using a colander. As soon as the water is drained, transfer to a serving dish and cover until ready to serve. I served mine last night with Dal Makhani.  

Rice on a rolling boil ...
I'm often asked what I call a rolling boil, so I took a picture :) !!

Note: Here's a trick my husband taught me! I'm a multi-tasker and would often have pasta or rice boiling at the same time as I was making the sauce or curry. Unfortunately, this meant that I would often have it boil over all over the stove top. T taught me to place a wooden spoon across the pan when boiling rice and pasta. Ta-da!! It doesn't boil over. Don't ask me why? or how? I just know it works!!

4 comments:

  1. You should try making tomato rice sometime. A South indian rice dish, it is tangy and just has a teensy addition to your current turmeric recipe (chopped stirfried onions, tomatoes, cumin the way I make it). And I'm told that cooked tomatoes are really nutritious (lycopene and all that). Goes well with dal or veggie side dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nice. I'll definitely try tomato rice next time. I'm guessing it'll need to me made like a pulao rather than like steamed rice! Thanks for the tip. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is the recipe I've been looking for! I've been loving turmeric these past few months and so far, the only recipe I know of is the chicken curry. Now because of you, I'll be able to partner it with a great rice. Big thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can add turmeric to any dish as long as it is cooked in. Whether u you use broth or oil - simply add a third to half a teaspoon in and then add your veggies or neat.

      Delete