January 25, 2012

Roasted Parsnips w Capers

Roasted Parsnips with Capers
So today was the day for Vegetable #4 for New Year Resolution #2 (to try as many previously untasted items from the produce section). And the lucky winner ... ding ding ding .... Parsnips!

Prep Time: 25 min or so.

Ingredients:
1) 3-4 fresh parsnips, peeled and cut into thick matchsticks.
2) 1 tbsp minced garlic
3) 2 tbsp soy sauce
4) 1 tsp parsley flakes
5) 1 tbsp onion flakes
6) 1/4 to 1/3 cup vegetable broth
7) 1 tbsp capers
8) Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400F. Toss all the ingredients in the  vegetable broth and then toss parsnips in the mix. Spread evenly across a unlined cookie sheet, pouring the broth in over the parsnips. Roast uncovered for 10 min, toss well, and return to the oven for another 5-8 minutes. I removed mine just as the edges were beginning to brown.

My Assessment: It was okay for me. Tonight's recipe was a "throw in whatever I can find" kind of trial recipe (e.g. capers!). I liked the flavor, rather mild and just sweet enough to be pleasant. I liked the crunch. But I didn't personally like the capers. I think I might also hold the soy sauce the next time so that the authentic parsnip color and flavor is maintained.

Nik's Reaction: He gobbled them up. He had already finished his dinner (pizza, and some of my "mutter mushroom" on the side. He saw the dish and jumped right back in his high chair and had 4 big pieces in all. He LOVED it!! Here's a picture of him chomping down on one ...!

Fresh sliced kiwifruit finished off our meal! Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment