December 15, 2012

Baked Purple Sweet Potatoes!

As I was in the store this evening, buying our usual produce for the week, I was also on the lookout for interesting new veggies that I have not tried so far. Just by accident, I noticed Purple Sweet Potatoes on one of the stands. Instantly, New Veggie # 57 was in my cart. Since I wanted to taste the flavors in as natural a form as possible, I opted to bake my potato tonight. 


The Stokes sticker on the potato asked for it to be baked for 1.5-2 hours at 350F. I sure didn't have the patience for that to take place. So I simply scrubbed the skin with a vegetable brush, wrapped the still damp tuber in saran wrap and microwaved it on high for 5 min + 2 min, with a quick check in between to check if it was done. The only disadvantage of nuking a potato or sweet potato in my opinion is that it dries up a tad more compared to when it is oven-baked. When I do have the time, I do try to bake the conventional way, in an oven or in a roaster. 


My Assessment: Despite the unusual color, I thought that these purple tubers tasted a lot like regular orange sweet potatoes. If I ate them with my eyes closed, I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference. I simple had mine with salt and pepper. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment