December 13, 2012

Wilted Beet Greens on Toast

So yesterday I made Braised Beetroots and the beets came with large leafy greens, with the most brilliant red stems (very reminiscent of Swiss Chard, which belongs to the same plant family as Beets).  Of course, there was no way I was going to let those greens go to waste .. no maa'm, no way! I made them New Veggie #56. So here's what I made, and quite honestly, I like Beet Greens a lot more than I liked Beetroots.

Wilted Beet Greens on Toast
Prep Time: 10 min

Ingredients:
  1. 1 bunch of Beet Greens, washed well and diced, including stems
  2. 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
  3. 1 tsp Ajwain (optional)
  4. 1 tsp Powdered Cumin seeds
  5. Salt and Pepper, to taste
  6. 2 tbsp Hummus
  7. 2 slices of All-Wheat or Multi-Grain Bread, toasted.
Directions: 
Line a skillet with water and add minced garlic, spices and chopped greens. Mix well, making sure there is enough water to prevent burning. If needed, add another splash, or two. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes, mixing once in between. Once the stems are tender, add salt and pepper to taste. Toast the bread, spread with a tbsp of hummus and create an open-faced sandwich. Enjoy warm. 


My Assessment: I loved my easy-peasy dinner. 10 minutes to a delicious dinner. the greens have a hint of bitterness which is often noted in mustard and collard greens and the red stems added a nice punch of color. I went for the easy route of topping toast but this preparation of beet greens, by itself, would also make a great side dish. Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment