This post was inspired by a post by Fat Free Vegan Kitchen yesterday. She was asked what she made for her family when she was short on time. And just like me, her response was, Black Bean Burritos. Her pictures are more colorful than mine ;) maybe that's why she's more famous. My recipe is extremely lazy compared to hers :)
|Black Bean Burritos w Spanish Rice|
Prep Time: 20 min
Ingredients (6 Burritos):
- 1 bag of Kroger Boil-in-Bag Parboiled Brown Rice
- 1 x 15oz can of Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups of Baby Spinach
- 2 tbsp Dried Minced Onions
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1/4 cup Mrs. Renfro's Hot Jalapeno Green Salsa.
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 6 Tortillas or your choice (today, I had white flour tortillas)
In a sauce-pot with ample water, boil brown rice until tender. Once done, transfer to a bowl. Add salsa to rice and toss well. Separately, line a skillet with water. On medium heat, add garlic and minced onions and allow to saute until garlic is fragrant. Add Spinach, allow it to wilt and then add black beans. Mix well, add taco seasoning, using more as needed to your taste. Saute for a few minutes until almost dry. Warm tortillas, wrapped in aluminum foil, in an oven preheated to 350F (10 min). Once tortillas are warm, transfer beans and rice to each and roll into a burrito. Add greens, fresh tomato, olives and more salsa, as needed. Enjoy!
My Assessment: Perfect for a great lazy evening meal!
Total Fat 0.5 g; Carbohydrates 17.6 g; Dietary Fiber 3.2 g; Sugars 1.2 g; Protein 4.7 g
* Nutrition facts are provided without the taco shells as calorie content can vary by size and brand.