July 14, 2013

One Pot Tomato Basil Pasta

In the past several weeks, I've come across several posts across several different plant-based groups and Pinterest boards raving about this One Pot Wonder Tomato Basil Pasta. The pictures were amazing as was the overall recipe. On this lazy Sunday morning it seemed like the perfect day to try out this recipe. I searched online for the original post so that I could appropriately credit the original author .. and here's how my version turned out!! 

One Pot Tomato Basil Pasta

Prep Time: 20 min

Ingredients (Serves 4):

  1. 8 oz Linguine (I used a rice-based gluten-free pasta)
  2. 1 can Diced Tomatoes, with liquid
  3. 1 large Sweet White Onion, julienned
  4. 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
  5. 2 tsp Dried Oregano
  6. 2 large Springs of fresh Basil, whole leaves
  7. 4.5 cups of Home-made Vegetable Broth
  8. 1 tsp salt, to taste
  9. 1 lb fresh Baby Spinach
Directions:
Throw all the ingredients into a large pasta pot, including the uncooked pasta. I kept the spinach out because I didn't want the leaves to turn to mush. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 10-13 minutes until the pasta is cooked. There is no need to drain the pasta. The starch from the pasta is what gives this dish is characteristic warm soupiness. Don't leave the Basil out if you've worried about it losing its essential oils and flavors. Cooking it all in one pot mixes up all the flavors and gives it a awesome flavor which will be a wonderful thing to look forward to in the cold winter months. I added the Spinach once everything else was cooked and then covered everything and let it sit for another 5 minutes (to allow the spinach to wilt). Then I tossed everything together before serving in deep pasta dishes, with a generous sprinkle of freshly cracked black pepper. 

Modifications from the original recipe: 
  1. I did not use red pepper flakes as my 4y old was going to eat it
  2. I added a pound of baby spinach
  3. 1 did not use any oil (the original recipe called for 2 tbsp).
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving): Calories 229 (Fat Calories 18)
Total Fat 2.0 g; Carbohydrates 43.8 g; Fiber 4.9 g; Sugars 4.7 g; Protein 11.3 g


No comments:

Post a Comment