July 27, 2013

Pistachio Peach Pie Oatmeal

Peach Bounty in the Coder Yard
Our two peach trees are dripping with fruit. We're the kind of careless carefree fruit tree owners that do nothing with the trees and the trees selflessly provide us with this incredible bounty every year. We are truly blessed. We harvested a big basket on Thursday evening and there's still a few more baskets remaining to be harvested that will go to friends, family, coworkers :)

In past years, I've made peach pie, peach cobbler ... pretty much every fattening dessert you can imagine. Last year's harvest was not great due to the weather and we mostly ate our peaches fresh. Today I decided to look into making an Oatmeal recipe since I am into that these days. Here's what I came up with after exploring a few recipes on the internet including this one by The Oatmeal Artist. Since I already had an idea in my head and I pretty much stuck with what I thought would work for this recipe, I'm taking the credit for my concoction this morning :) 


Prep Time: 5-7 min

Ingredients (Serves 1):
  1. 1/2 cup Old-Fashioned (Rolled) Oats
  2. 1 cup Almond Milk
  3. 2 Medium Peaches, diced (almost a cup)
  4. 1 tbsp Chia Seeds
  5. 10-15 Dry Roasted (no salt) Pistachios, crushed/halved
  6. 1 tbsp Brown Sugar (optional)
  7. A pinch of Nutmeg (ground)
  8. A pinch of Cinnamon (ground)
  9. A pinch of Coarse (Sea or Kosher) Salt
Directions:
Mix oats, almond milk, peaches and chia seeds in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Once the oats are done, remove from microwave, mix well, add nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and brown sugar (if you like it sweet). I didn't use any sugar because the peaches were sweet enough for me.  Mix well, transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle another dash of ground nutmeg on top and garnish with a few slices of peach and roasted pistachios. Enjoy!!


Nutrition Facts (Per Serving, without Brown Sugar): Calories 354 (Fat Calories 125)
Total Fat 13.9 g; Carbohydrates 51.6 g; Fiber 13.5 g; Sugars 14.9 g; Protein 12.1 g

1 comment:

  1. I love fresh peaches; had my 1st of the season yesterday. Delicious. Lucky you to have trees full of them.

    ReplyDelete