February 2, 2014

Kabocha Squash Soup

In an effort to try various varieties of squash, I picked up a grand old Kabocha Squash. It turns out that this is New Veggie #73. It sat on my kitchen counter for a few days as I wondered what I could possibly use it for. Ultimately, for fear that it would rot, I roasted it and scooped out the flesh one night (and it went in the fridge). Sooooo, what am I to make? Ultimately, I decided to make that tried and true recipe for Squash Soup from Happy Herbivore. This time, I didn't have any curry powder handy (OMG! ... an Indian chick doesn't have curry powder ;) .. sacrilege!!!) but I did have my mom's home-made Garam Masala and ended up using that instead!! Ummm! :)



Prep Time: 10-15 min (with pre-roasted squash)

Ingredients (Serves 2):

  1. 1 Medium Kabocha Squash (pre-roasted, scooped flesh, ~2 cups)
  2. 1-2 cups Home-made Vegetable Broth 
  3. 2-3 tsp Garam Masala, to taste
  4. Hot Sauce (preferably Cholula)
  5. Salt and Pepper, to taste

Directions:
Roast the whole squash in the oven for about 90 min (see instructions here). Once the skin starts to bubble and pop and darken, the squash is ready. Remove from oven and allow to cool at room temperature so that you can scoop out the flesh without scalding yourself. Once scooped, the flesh can be stored refrigerated until you're ready to make your soup. Bring 1 cup of vegetable broth to a boil in a large sauce pan, add squash and garam masala and some salt. Using an immersion (stick) blender, puree until the soup is thick and creamy, adding more broth as needed until you get the desired consistency. Taste test for salt and flavor. Garnish with cholula and enjoy!! 



My Assessment: This soup is so easy to make. I love it, with every kind of fall squash :)

Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)*: Calories 40 (Fat Calories 0)
Total Fat 0.0 g; Carbohydrates 9.3 g; Fiber 1.3 g; Sugars 4.0 g; Protein 1.4 g

* Nutrition facts are provided for the water option as vegetable broth calorie content can vary.


If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out my Recipe Index for more Whole-Food, Plant-Based, No-Added-Oil recipes. You can also like Rugrat Chow! on Facebook. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment