February 2, 2014

Spicy Stewed Okra

This recipe, a hot and spicy Okra stew is inspired by my friend Maria Hatcher. Not only does she style my hair to perfection, she's been tempting me with tales of this recipe for months now. After our visit to her salon yesterday, and another conversation about this dish, I decided to pick up some okra and onions at the store and try this recipe tonight. I'm not sure if she uses all the same spices or not, but this came out pretty darned good. I served it over 2 redskin steamed potatoes. She uses mashed cauliflower or masked potatoes. I think it will go really well with a batch of my Cauliflower Rice


Prep Time: 20 min 

Warning: Not for the weak of heart!! This recipe packs a lot of heat. 

Ingredients (Serves 4):
  1. 1 x 12oz Pack of frozen/cut Okra
  2. 1 small white Onion, julienned
  3. 1 x 10oz can of Diced Tomatoes (or a medium fresh tomato, diced)
  4. 1 small Jalapeño, diced finely
  5. 1 tbsp Powdered Cumin
  6. 1 tsp Smoked Chipotle Pepper (or more, to taste)
  7. 1 tsp minced garlic
  8. Salt, to taste
Directions:
Line a big saucepan with water and add onion and garlic. As the onion becomes translucent, add tomatoes, jalapeño, cumin and chipotle pepper. Mix well, add frozen okra and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer allow the okra to cook down for about 15 min. Serve over rice or potatoes. 


Nutrition Facts (Per Serving): Calories 58 (Fat Calories 5)
Total Fat 0.5 g; Carbohydrates 12.0 g; Fiber 4.0 g; Sugars 3.9 g; Protein 2.1 g


If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out my Recipe Index for more Whole-Food, Plant-Based, No-Added-Oil recipes. You can also like Rugrat Chow! on Facebook. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment