So last week when i posted pics of my Mushroom & Barley stew, one of our friends commented that it wasn't a stew because the pics didn't look soupy enough :) .... well, it was soupy, but more on the dry side. So I decided to make it again, with modifications of course, and for Jeanne, I made it soupy too!!
|Mushroom & Barley Stew, Take 2.|
Prep Time: 20 min
- 1/2 cup barley (New Veggie #29)
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill TVP crumbles (optional; use additional 1/2 cup barley instead).
- 3 cups of vegetable broth, and more, as needed.
- 8-10 large mushrooms, sliced.
- 4-6 stalks of celery, diced.
- 4-5 Slices of Field Roast Wild Mushroom Deli Slices, diced. (optional; Substitute with Italian sausage crumbles)
- 1 cup of sliced fresh/frozen carrots.
- Garlic salt, to taste.
- 2-5 fresh Basil leaves, sliced.
- 5-7 fresh Oregano leaves, whole.
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste.
Cook barley according to package instructions in advance, or use instant barley for this recipe. In a deep sauce pot, add vegetable broth and barley and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Meanwhile slice mushrooms and celery and add to the pot. Continue to simmer. Next add the wild mushroom deli slices (or sausage crumbles) and continue to simmer. Add more broth as needed, to keep a good soupy consistency. Lastly add carrots, and herbs and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Garnish with a sprig of basil and freshly cracked pepper. Serve steamy hot!!
My Assessment: Still LOVE barley! I love the nutty, very slightly chewy flavor of barley. I highly recommend that everyone try it at least once. The inclusion of celery and carrots added a whole other dimension to this soup. Um Um Good!!