May 25, 2012

TVP & Onion Rice

One of all my all time favorite foods growing up, even though I was a meat-eater until recently, was Soy (TVP) Chunks sold under the brand name Nutrela in India. Its coming to be the end of the week and I didn't have too many fresh veggies in the house and I wasn't really in the mood to stop at the store on my way home, with my 3-year old in tow. So I decide to go back to the old favorite.


Prep Time: 30 min

Ingredients:

  1. 1/2 cup Basmati Rice
  2. 1 large Onion, sliced
  3. 1 can (14 oz) of Hunt's Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes
  4. 2 cloves of Garlic, diced
  5. 1/2 cup Nutrela (TVP) Large Chunks
  6. 1/2 tsp Cumin
  7. 2 tsp Cumin powder
  8. 2 tsp Coriander powder
  9. 2-3 tsp Garam Masala
  10. Salt & Pepper, to taste
  11. Fresh Coriander leaves
Directions:
Line a deep pan with water, add garlic and onions and cook until onions are translucent. Rinse TVP under running water to get rid of any dust (I use a mesh colander) and then add to the pan. Bring to a boil and cook on a simmer for 3-5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and all the spices. Mix well. Once the mix is almost dry again, rinse rice in running water as well and add to the pan. Add 1.5-2x the amount of water (as rice) and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to a medium low, and cover partially. Cook until rice is tender (about 10-12 min). Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment