June 20, 2012

Southwestern Quinoa & Portabella Tacos

I made a big batch of southwestern style Quinoa to last me a whole week :) !! While plain Quinoa is amazing by itself in sweet and savory dishes, this southwestern version totally blows it out of the ball park! 


Prep Time: 20 min

Ingredients:
  1. 1 cup Quinoa
  2. 1 cup mild Salsa
  3. 2 Portabello mushrooms, Sliced
  4. 1/2 cup Snow Peas
  5. 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning
  6. 2 Whole wheat tortillas
Directions:
Rinse quinoa and prepare as I've described previously (How to Prepare Quinoa). To make 'Southwestern' style quinoa, a version similar to Spanish rice served in Mexican restaurants across the country, I simply added fresh homemade salsa while preparing quinoa. In order to ensure that I could add Salsa without overwhelming my quinoa with liquid, I used a large mesh strainer to drain all of the liquid from the salsa into a measuring cup. Then, I made up the volume I needed with tap water.  I mixed the Salsa solids with the dry quinoa and added the measured amount of liquid to cook the quinoa. Once done, fluff with a fork for the best consistency. 


Separately, line a skillet with water and add taco seasoning. Once mixed, add the snow peas and cook for a few minutes and then add the sliced mushrooms. Toss well and cook for a couple more minutes until done. Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and warm in an oven set to 350F (takes 4-5 minutes).


Prepare Tacos by layering quinoa and veggies. I didn't have any fresh greens today, but a nice layer of baby spinach would definitely add a nice crunch to it as well. Overall a yummy no-added-fat dinner that was ready in 15-20 minutes.

* For a mild Salsa combine the following in a food processor.
  1. 2 large or extra-large fresh Tomatoes
  2. 2 Green Onions/Scallions
  3. 1/4 cup fresh Cilantro leaves
  4. 1 clove of Garlic
  5. 1/4 Jalapeño (deseeded)
  6. Juice of 1 lime
  7. Salt, to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment