June 21, 2012

Oyster Mushroom Tossed Pasta

I've been eating a lot of grains and whole veggies lately and some days you just need a hearty pasta dish. I bought a few bunches of fresh Oyster mushrooms (New Veggie #14) at the store yesterday and wanted to use those maybe in a Lo-mein

When I got home, I only had regular spaghetti noodles (which we buy mostly for the kids). I prefer Quinoa Pasta these days and all I had was shells. So, slight change in plans - I made this lovely tossed pasta with lots of veggies instead - perfect for a summer evening !!  

I told somebody today that I've never met a mushroom I didn't love. Oyster mushrooms with their very characteristic aroma and flavor and slightly chewy texture are on top of my list of favorites. I usually further enhance the flavor of Oyster mushrooms by adding Oyster sauce. Yum!

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
  1. 4-6 oz Oyster mushrooms, sliced
  2. 1 cup baby spinach
  3. 1/2 cup mixed frozen Veggies 
  4. 4 oz Quinoa shells. 
  5. 1/2 cup Vegetable broth
  6. 2 tbsp Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
  7. 2 tbsp Liquid Aminos
  8. 1 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
  9. 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
  10. 1-2 tbsp Vegetarian Oyster Sauce
  11. Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Directions: Boil pasta shells and set aside until ready to toss. Line a skillet with vegetable broth and add ginger-garlic paste. Once that is fragrant, add the liquid ingredients (except the Oyster sauce) and stir well. Next add the baby spinach and allow to wilt (2-3 min). Once the spinach is wilted, add the remaining  veggies and toss for a couple of minutes until thawed. 


Add the pasta shells and toss again. Add the oyster sauce at the very end, and garnish with freshly cracked black pepper after a quick (and final) toss!! Enjoy!!


Nik's Reaction: This one was another hit. He didn't much care for the mushrooms (more for me!) but ate the shells and veggies with gusto!! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment