August 22, 2012

Asparagus & Sage Soup

I often feel like a big bowl of soup for dinner. I've been thinking of an Asparagus soup for a while. Also, I've had Sage in my herb garden all summer and I'm embarrassed to admit that I had no use for it ;) !! Except for adding large bunches of it to my vegetable scraps for my Home-made Vegetable Broth, even that was a desperate attempt to use the growing jungle!!! I guess I also never tried hard enough to find a plant-based recipe that required Sage. Today, I was determined. A quick Google search revealed this recipe at The Cooking Club. It required however, 2 tablespoons of butter, a half a cup of Parmesan cheese and chicken broth. I wasn't planning on using any of those items; so here's my plant-based version. 

Asparagus & Sage Soup
Prep Time: 20 min

Ingredients:
  1. 1 lb Asparagus, chopped coarsely
  2. 1 medium Red Onion, chopped coarsely
  3. 2 cups Vegetable broth
  4. 3 cloves Garlic
  5. 2-4 tbsp of fresh Sage leaves
  6. 1/3 cup Brown Rice
  7. 0.5oz Dried Shiitake Mushrooms
  8. 1/3 cup Baby Spinach
  9. 1/3-1/2 cup Non-Dairy Milk
  10. Salt and Pepper, to taste
Directions:
Add everything to a pressure cooker, and steam for 10 min. Let steam dissipate naturally, open, mix with a large spatula and puree using a stick blender, or in a regular jar blender. Add Non-Dairy Milk and mix well. Garnish with freshly cracked black pepper & Enjoy!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment