August 20, 2012

Tempeh Curry

To be very honest, when I first tried Tempeh several months ago I was not a fan. I bought some because I didn't want to dismiss this food that everyone raved about after just one trial. But I was hesitant to try it again, until I had an idea ... and suddenly, Tempeh got its second chance :) !!! The problem with tempeh is that to the unaccustomed palate, it tastes dry and grainy and doesn't have much flavor. It has the wonderful property, however, much like tofu, that it can take up whatever flavors are added to it. One of the things I was told by others who love it is that it helps to boil it before using it in a dish. My answer to that? Pressure cooking!!  

Tempeh Curry
Prep Time: 20 min

Ingredients: 
  1. 1 8oz pack of Tempeh, cut into 1" pieces
  2. 1 large Onion, diced coarsely
  3. 1 large Tomato, diced coarsely
  4. 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
  5. 2 cups Vegetable Broth
  6. 2-3 tsp Cumin seeds
  7. 2-3 tsp Coriander powder
  8. 2-3 medium Bay leaves
  9. 2 inch piece of cinnamon bark
  10. 4-6 whole cloves
  11. 2-4 tsp Garam Masala
  12. Salt & Pepper, to taste
Directions:
Add everything to a pressure cooker and steam for 15 min. Open, stir well, allow some of the water to evaporate, if a thicker curry is desired, or eat as is. 


I served this curry over a bed of rice and it tasted great. Tempeh will most definitely have a spot in my fridge from now on. It had an almost creamy texture after being pressure cooked. All the spice flavors penetrated well during the pressure cooking process and for those used to Indian cooking, Tempeh tasted a little bit like Paneer to me. Hope you'll give it a chance, or a second chance. Nom Nom!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment