August 8, 2012

Wilted Kale with Onions & Miso

Being hypothyroid, I try to avoid eating some foods in the raw state because they are known to be goitrogenic i.e. they suppress Thyroid gland function. Since I endogenously supplement with thyroid hormone on a daily basis, I think its probably wise to stay away from foods that affect its uptake and overall function. So I typically cook kale and broccoli and cauliflower, all foods that have goitrogenic potential. One of the easiest ways to cook cake in my opinion, is to wilt it. I used Purple Kale today, which is also known as Salad Savoy.


Prep Time: 10 min

Ingredients:

  1. 1 bunch of purple kale (New Veggie #23), leaves torn and stems removed
  2. 1 medium Red Onion, sliced
  3. 1-2 tsp Minced Garlic
  4. 1-2 tsp Liquid Aminos
  5. 1 tbsp White Miso (New Veggie #35)
  6. 1/2 cup Vegetable Broth

Directions: Line a skillet with 1/4 cup vegetable broth and add minced garlic to it. Once the garlic is fragrant, add liquid aminos, mix and add onion and kale. Reduce heat to a medium low, cover and allow the kale to wilt. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, dissolve Miso in the remainder of the vegetable broth and set aside. Once the kale is wilted, turn off heat, mix well and then pour the Miso/Broth mix on top. Give it all a quick toss, re-cover and set aside until ready to serve. 


I served my wilted kale with a fresh batch of Cauliflower Rice and Sautéed Mushrooms. Great dinner tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment