October 22, 2012

Herbed Chilli Pepper Hubbard Squash

Since it's my favorite season of the year, I'm on a quest to try as many squash varieties as I can before they all disappear :) !! I haven't been as good as I'd like but I do have three that I'd like to try this week. Today's selection is New Veggie #49 - Golden Hubbard Squash

Prep Time: 15-20 min
Ingredients:

  1. 1 small hubbard squash, peeled, diced
  2. 2 tsp Madras Sambar Powder (I use the brand called SGR 777)* 
  3. 2 tsp Red pepper flakes
  4. 1 tsp minced garlic
  5. 2-3 tbsp freshly choppedCilantro leaves
  6. Salt & Pepper to taste
Directions: 
Wash the squash really well to remove any dirt. Cut in half and remove all the seeds and fiber from the hollow center using a spoon or spatula. Cut each half into wedges and peel each one with a paring knife and dice each wedge into 1/2 inch pieces. Line a deep skillet with water, on medium heat, and add garlic. Once the garlic begins to sizzle and release its fragrance, add the squash and remaining ingredients (except cilantro). Mix and cover. Cook for ~10-12 minutes until squash is tender. Uncover, add fresh cilantro, and mix well. Allow any water to evaporate and serve hot as a side. This dish goes really well with naan, or even mixed in with well cooked white basmati rice. 

Herbed Chilli Pepper Hubbard Squash
My Assessment: I liked it. Having read that it was a lot like pumpkin I was a tad surprised as I did not find it to be as sweet as pumpkin and overall, it blended well with this spicy preparation. I purposely did not add any sweet ingredients to this dish (unlike some of my other sweet and spicy squash recipes) and I was glad as this was a very savory dish. 

* Ingredients: chillies, coriander, toor dal, fenugreek, turmeric and asafoetida.

No comments:

Post a Comment