This heart warming Two-Lentil Soup is a concoction I came up with on a rainy Ohio fall day. It is packed with protein goodness, zero fat and greens as well. Also, it has only 1 spice ... roasted ground cumin! Yum! If you like cumin, or even if you don't, do give roasted ground cumin a try. It has a much smoother earthy flavor and a little bit of it goes a long way.
|Two Lentil Soup with Oyster Mushrooms|
- 1/3 cup Mung Dal (Green lentils, split and skinned)
- 1/3 cup Masoor Dal (Red lentils, split and skinned)
- 1 cup Spinach, coarsely torn
- 1 cup Oyster mushrooms (optional)
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 2-3 cups of water or vegetable broth
- 1-2 tsp roasted ground cumin, to taste.
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Mix all ingredients in a pressure cooker and cook under high pressure for 8-10 minutes. Release steam immediately. Stir to combine ingredients. Taste check for salt and add more cumin, to taste. Garnish with freshly cracked black pepper, and fresh cilantro (if you have any available). If you don't own a pressure cooker, this can easily be made on the stove top, simmer on medium heat for ~30 min until the beans are well done and blended with the rest of the ingredients. It should not take longer than 30 min as the skinned split lentils typically cook super fast. Serve hot!!