October 6, 2012

Dijon Roasted Carnival Squash

In my quest to try new veggies this year, I think my favorite season so far is Fall. My husband however, is convinced that I'm going to eat all the decorations - since I'm trying as many new kinds of squash. Today's variety is Carnival Squash - New Veggie #47

Dijon Roasted Carnival Squash
Prep Time: 50 min, including roasting.

Ingredients:
  1. 1 Carnival Squash 
  2. 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
  3. 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
  4. 1 tbsp Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
  5. 1 tsp Thyme leaves
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Wash and dry the outside of the squash. Using a sharp knife, cut the squash into 2 halves from the stem to the bottom. Remove the seeds and other fleshy material from the hollow part. Place cut side down in an oven-safe dish, with a thin layer of water and roast until a pin inserted into the thickest part glides in smoothly. The one I had today (about 5 inches in diameter) took ~35 min. 

In a small bowl, mix Dijon mustard, maple syrup and soy sauce. Once the Squash is tender, turn face up, brush liberally with the prepared sauce and return to the oven for 15 min. Once during this time, remove the squash and spread the sauce all around again. 

Bake until dry. Let sit for 5 minutes, and then slice into wedges. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves and freshly cracked pepper. Serve with some extra sauce to drizzle on top if the squash feels too dry.

My Assessment: Um Um GOOD!! The Dijon mustard added just a little bit of pungent spiciness which is toned down by the sweetness of the maple syrup. I used the soy sauce mainly for the color and I could not taste it at all in this recipe. I'll try this again for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment