October 2, 2012

15-min Barley & Vegetable Soup - Take 2

Recently, Tony decided to go herbie with me :) for 90 days. Since his repertoire of veggies and grains is still rather limited, I've been attempting to try some of the things he might enjoy for his dinners and left-over lunches. He's told me often enough that he likes Barley and that he likes it in soup, so I decided to make another version of my 15-min Barley & Vegetable Soup by withholding some of the non-traditional items that I use in my original version (no TVP or lentils today). I added black beans to add back the protein that I lost by removing TVP and lentils and since those are T's favorite bean ... we were all set for a wonderful heart-warming dinner :)

Barley & Vegetable Soup - Take 2
Prep Time: 15 min

Ingredients:
  1. 5-6 cups Vegetable broth, or water
  2. 3/4 cup Barley 
  3. 3 stalks of celery, diced
  4. 2 carrots, diced
  5. 1 bunch of Spinach, stems removed
  6. 1 15oz can of Black beans, drained
  7. 2 Portabella mushrooms, diced
  8. 2 tsp dried Basil
  9. 2-3 tsp Minced Garlic, to taste
  10. 1 heaping tbsp Yellow Miso
  11. 1 tbsp Ketchup
  12. Salt and Pepper, to taste
Directions:
Mix all ingredients, with the exception of the last 3 in a pressure cooker and cook for 5 minutes under high pressure. I used "quick" barley since I am trying to get it eaten before I open my bag of regular barley, With regular barley, I'm guessing a 10-15 min high pressure would be enough. I'll have to update that when I've had a chance to try it out. Once the steam is released, open the cooker, add and mix in the miso & ketchup and salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste ... enjoy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment