May 27, 2013

Basil, Avocado & Tofu Sandwich

Happy Memorial Day Folks!! Take a minute to remember all those brave men and women who've died for our country and say thank you to all those that have served. We didn't have a BBQ today unlike the rest of the millions of people in the country! We had a quiet lunch at home on this somewhat dreary, cold and rainy day in Ohio.

Before I go further with this post, I've got to 'fess up. I've been a herbivore for 17 months and Mexican food is my first choice in food .. and before this weekend, I've never ever bought an avocado in my life. I've had Guacamole aplenty in restaurants but never actually brought an avocado home. Multiple reasons .. I didn't know how to cut it .. I didn't know how to buy it (is it ripe, or over-ripe, or still too green) ... I didn't know how to use it in my dishes and since I was trying to lose weight, and avocados a high fat food ... I simply avoided buying them!! But this weekend, I threw all caution to the wind .. found this post on Pinterest on how to buy the right kind of avocado and then this post on Simply Recipes on how to cut it ... and just like that I had New Veggie #70

Basil, Avocado & Tofu Steak Sandwich
Prep Time: 10 min

Ingredients (Serves 2):
  1. 2/3 Block of extra firm tofu (about 9 ounces)
  2. 1 Avocado
  3. 8-10 fresh Basil leaves
  4. 4 tbsp fresh Medium/Mild Salsa
  5. 2 tbsp Hunt's Tomato Paste
  6. Taco Seasoning, to taste
  7. Ground Chipotle Peppers, to taste
  8. Cholula Hot Sauce (optional)
  9. 4 Slices of 12-Grain Bread

Directions:
Press tofu to remove excess moisture and slice into 6 pieces. Preheat a seasoned cast-iron pan to medium-high and then gently place each individual slice of tofu onto the pan. As it sizzles, each slice will form a skin which will then prevent it from sticking to the skillet. Once the first side is seared, flip each piece gently and sear the other side. As the tofu begin to take on color, brush the tomato paste (unsalted) onto each slice to give it some extra flavor. As the tomato sauce dries up, sprinkle taco seasoning and flip it over. Brush more tomato paste and add taco seasoning to the other side as well. Make sure to flip frequently to prevent burning. Just before removing each piece from the skillet, add chipotle pepper powder, if using. 


Separately, toast the bread and spread salsa on two pieces. Line two slices with fresh basil leaves and layer 3 pieces of tofu on top. On the other two slices of bread, spread a thin layer of Cholula hot sauce (or use more medium salsa if you prefer a milder taste) and then layer avocado slices. Sprinkle freshly cracked black pepper and flip one side over the other!!! Enjoy!! 

My Assessment: Spicy and Creamy!! Loved it! But this sandwich is rich and heavy (thanks to the avocado!). We just ate it by itself, no sides. 

Nutrition Facts (Per Serving): Calories 515 (Fat Calories 217)
Total Fat 24.1 g; Carbohydrates 53.3 g; Fiber 13.4 g; Sugars 9.6 g; Protein 23.5 g

1 comment:

  1. Hey Pragati, great recipe. I am going to try this one for one of our lunches:-)
    Shwetal

    ReplyDelete