May 5, 2013

No-Bake Oatmeal Energy Bites

Recently, I've noted that I crave an occasional bite of chocolate or something sweet in the evenings, or on weekend afternoons at home. Usually, I've been able to curb those cravings with a Medjool Date. The ooey-gooey-caramely taste of dates works (almost) every time. Today I decided to try one of the various no-bake energy recipes I'd been pinning to by Plant-Based Desserts board on Pinterest. This one was one of the first to catch my eye several months ago. Today, it didn't disappoint at all. 



Prep Time: 20-30 min (mostly for rolling the individual bites)

Ingredients (30 Servings):
  1. 1 cup Oatmeal* 
  2. 1/2 cup Shredded (unsweetened) Dry Coconut 
  3. 1/4 cup Sliced Almonds*
  4. 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp* Ground Flax Seed Meal  
  5. 1/2 cup Non-Dairy (Ghirardelli) Semi-Sweet Chocolate chips
  6. 1 tbsp Chia Seeds
  7. 1/2 cup "Naturally More" Smooth Peanut Butter (with Flax seeds)
  8. 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
  9. 2 tbsp Honey*
  10. 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Directions:
Mix all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. and then add the wet ingredients and mix well with a rubber spatula so that the peanut butter is evenly distributed. The original recipe calls for 30 min of chilling in the refrigerator but I didn't have the patience and I used rolled the mixture into small balls (~1" in diameter). I got 30 balls out of this recipe. The original recipe calls for refrigerated storage for up to 1 week. I decided to freeze my batch in individual paper truffle cups. That way I won't eat them all at once and I can thaw only what I want when I'm craving a sweet something.

My Assessment: Love these!! The coconut and almonds add chewiness and the chocolate does its own thing. These tasted like a really chewy Oatmeal chocolate chip cookie! Next time I might even consider adding raisins to this recipe. A+++

My Modifications*:
  • I used Instant Oats because I'm trying to get rid of a big box. The original recipe calls for Old Fashioned oats, but allows for a bunch of different grains.
  • I swapped 1/4 cup coconut with almonds, just because!! :) 
  • I added 2 extra tbsp of Flax Seed because that's all I had remaining after adding 1/2 cup. 
  • I added 2 tbsp of honey because the mixture still felt dry after adding maple syrup and peanut butter. I used honey instead of more maple syrup as I figured it would add an extra flavor and it is also stickier. 
  • I didn't refrigerate as the recipe called for, but it might be a good idea as they do tend to get really messy while rolling. 
  • One option for making them less messy would be to roll each ball in shredded/ground coconut or sesame seeds before placing it in its individual candy cup.  
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving): Calories 76 (Fat Calories 36)
Total Fat 4.0 g; Carbohydrates 8.3 g; Fiber 1.8 g; Sugars 4.2 g; Protein 2.4 g

No comments:

Post a Comment