May 13, 2013

Cheater Boiled Peanuts & Collard Greens

This past weekend I picked up a big sack of Collard Greens at the grocery store in another attempt to incorporate greens into my diet. I want to be at a point where I am consuming some green leafy vegetable on a daily basis. I used to do have Baby Spinach as part of my daily morning Green Smoothie but ever since I changed my breakfast to Steel Cut Oats, that part of my daily routine has fallen by the wayside. So today, I decided to make some Collard Greens - my New Veggie #69.  This recipe combines 2 Southern traditions - Boiled Peanuts and Collard Greens.  

Boiled Peanuts are a traditional snack in the North and South Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Northern Florida. They are an acquired taste but can be totally addictive and can be seen being sold at roadside stands all over the South. Traditionally, these are prepared by boiling un-shelled green/raw peanuts in salty water, over a wood fire. No one knows for sure why Southerners started boiling peanuts but they have been around since the Civil War. I call my version Cheater because it doesn't take nearly as long as the traditional method and because I used shelled peanuts. 

Cheater Boiled Peanuts & Collard Greens
Adapted from: Homesick Texan: Not Your Grandma’s Collard Greens

Prep Time: 30-40 min

Ingredients (4 Servings):
  1. 1 lb Collard Greens, pre-washed and cut into bite sized pieces.
  2. 1 large White Onion, diced
  3. 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
  4. 2 large Tomatoes, diced
  5. 1 large Red Bell Pepper, diced
  6. 1/3 cup Smooth Peanut Butter
  7. 1/3 cup Raw Peanuts*
  8. 2 cups water or home-made vegetable broth.
  9. 2 tsp Chipotle Pepper powder, optional, to taste
  10. Salt and Pepper, to taste
Directions:

I used a large bag of pre-washed Collard greens today. But if you're using fresh leaves, remove thick stems and cut each leaf into bite sized pieces. Wash well to remove all traces of soil and dirt. In a large, deep pot, add 1 cup water and add diced onions and garlic. Saute until onion is translucent and garlic begins to release its essential oils (about 2-4 min on high). Add tomatoes and red bell pepper. Mix everything well together and add peanut butter and raw peanuts at this time. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer on the stove for 20-25 min. Add another cup of water or vegetable broth half way through this time to prevent the dish from drying out too much. Just a couple of minutes before serving, add Chipotle pepper powder and cover and allow the dish to simmer for another couple of minutes.  Serve as a side dish, or enjoy as I did tonight - over a bed of steamed rice. 


* Raw Peanuts can be easily be bought at Indian Grocery stores, if you can't locate them in your local grocery store. 

Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)^: Calories 254 (Fat Calories 129)
Total Fat 14.4 g; Carbohydrates 22.2 g; Fiber 9.8 g; Sugars 6.6 g; Protein 13.8 g

^ Nutrition facts are provided for the water option as vegetable broth calorie content can vary a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment