July 27, 2012

Banana Chocolate Ice Cream

In my younger, on-my-own lonesome days, I often spent a Saturday evening at home with my dog by my side, and Netflix on TV and a pint of ice cream. I've been known to have ice cream for lunch and again for dinner, all in the same day. I've also been known to say "I can live on ice cream". Since going plant-based, I don't think I've found a non-dairy ice cream that I've really enjoyed. I tried the So-Delicious brand of products for a while, but soon got over that. And who wants all those saturated fats from coconut milk. As part of a 'New Herbies' group on facebook, I've often read posts from people about banana ice cream. My first thought .. ew! I've never liked banana milk shakes. I don't like banana splits. I only eat bananas as they just start to ripen. Blemished bananas, with soft spots, are quite gross in my opinion. But this year, from the very beginning, has been about trying new things, even those that I'd never dreamed of eating. So when I had a couple of bananas becoming a little over ripe last week, I pealed them, dropped them in a tupper-ware and placed them in the freezer.

On-my-own again tonight with Nik in bed, and the older boys at a movie theater, and my dog by my side, and the Olympics opening ceremony on TV and of course, I'm suddenly thinking of that pint of ice cream :) I used an HH Raw Ice cream recipe, with my modifications, of course.


Prep Time: 5 min with previously frozen bananas

Ingredients: 
  1. 2 frozen bananas (peeled, of course prior to freezing)
  2. 2-3 tsp Cocoa powder
  3. 1-2 drops Vanilla extract
  4. 1/4 cup Almond milk.
  5. 1/8 cup fresh berries.
Directions:
Transfer all ingredients to a food processor fitted with an S blade. Add only half the almond milk to prevent splashing. Blend until smooth. Add the rest of the milk and blend again! Garnish with fresh blackberries and serve immediately. Yum! 

My Assessment: I LOVED IT!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment