July 23, 2012

Mushroom Pizza

So I was going to start a 30-day 'unprocessed' challenge today. I managed to do really well all day - no processed foods all day and then fell off the wagon .... umm totally fell off the wagon!! I came home, and T was planning on having a 'juice' dinner so I had to come up with something really quick for me and my li'l rugrat - & BOOM! Fell off the wagon!! Here's the recipe for those interested. 


Prep Time: 15 min

Ingredients: 
  1. 2 whole grain naans (Stone Fire)
  2. 4 tbsp marinara sauce (I used Ragu!)
  3. 1/2 cup Daiya Mozarella Style Shreds 
  4. 1/2 cup Sliced mushrooms
  5. 2-3 Tofurkey Breakfast Links, diced
Directions: 
Preheat overn to 375F. Place each naan on a flat surface, like a large cutting board, or butcher block. 



Spread 2 tbsp of Marinara sauce on each naan, making sure to cover the edges, without spilling over. 


Then, spread half the daiya cheese on each naan, in a thin layer. 


And finally spread the mushrooms, as many as you like, in a single or multiple layers on top of the cheese. 


And then, add pieces of vegan sausage, as needed, interspersed between the sausage.


Place pizzas on a pizza stone, or non-stick pizza pan, and place in the oven for 8-10 min until edges are browned and the bottom is crispy.... and Enjoy!! 


Nik's Assessment: He LOVED IT. He picked out pieces of sausage off the pizza and was enjoying the melted daiya cheese. 

My Assessment: I hated it!! It is amazing how quickly you lose the ability to process oils/fats in your food. It was way to greasy for me thanks to the daiya cheese. Next time, I will probably try this with a non-fat alternative to daiya like this Melty Pizza Cheese which a friend told me about (thanks Julie!) .. but I found this only AFTER dinner tonight! Next time .... !!!

And here's when I get on my soapbox about unhealthy vegan foods. I already know I should not be eating these high-fat processed foods like vegan cheese and vegan sausage because they are about as unhealthy as their meat/dairy based alternatives.

"Instead of replacing meat with healthier alternatives, vegans too often fill their plates with meat alternatives crafted from highly processed soy proteins bathed in vegetable oil ...//..... Calorie for calorie, fake foods are not much better nutritionally than the animal foods they replace. In some cases, they are worse." - John A. McDougall, MD - In: The Starch Solution

Next step - ensuring that these items are not even brought into my house, because when they're in the fridge, I feel horrid throwing things away and invariably end up eating them - which only makes me feel like the human trash can - & I deserve so much better than that!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment