November 6, 2012

10-min Mushroom Subzi

Given that it is Election Night 2012, I wanted to make something quick and easy so that I could settle in front of CNN and watch President Obama win his second term. Yes, I support him. That's my prerogative :) !! A Subzi, in Indian, Pakistani, and Nepali cuisine, is any spiced preparation of vegetables, typically dry, that is eaten with Rotis.  

Mushroom Subzi
Prep Time: 10 min

Ingredients:
  1. 1 cup white and/or cremini mushrooms, mixed, cut into quarters. 
  2. 6 oz (1/2 pack) Extra Firm Mori-Nu Silken Tofu (cut into 1/2" squares).
  3. 1-2 tsp Garlic powder
  4. 2 tbsp Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
  5. 1 tsp Dried Cilantro
  6. Salt and Pepper, to taste
Directions:
Line a skillet with water and add mushrooms and spices. Allow the mushrooms to release their water and for most of it to dry up (~5-7 min). Then add the silken tofu pieces and mix everything together. Its okay if the tofu squares break apart as they will only add to the creaminess of the subzi. Allow all the water to dry up, taste test for salt and garnish with freshly cracked black pepper and fresh cilantro. Serve with fresh (or frozen) chapatis. Yum!


My Assessment: This is my favorite way of making a quick subzi. I love garlic so this dish is extremely flavorful for me. If you have your own favorite spice, use that instead to focus on that flavor. Its probably best to use a powdered spice to maintain cooking time.  The tofu acts as a sponge for all the garlicky flavor and coats the mushrooms. Occasionally, I add some chili pepper powder to this dish to give it an extra kick. Enjoy!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Fast and easy--can't wait to try it! Question, though: I can only eat soy in small doses, as it doesn't totally agree with me. Any suggestions on what I could substitute for the tofu? (I've never made a subzi before!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, you can skip the tofu altogether and it's still pretty good. Or you could use peas instead.

      Delete