November 26, 2012

Baby Kale & Chickpeas

It is amazing to me that at this time last year, I sincerely believed, with all my heart, that God intended Kale to be bunny food. And now, I eat it several times a week, in various different dishes. Today, I decided to make a quick dinner with Kale and Red Lentils. I thought I was reaching for a can of diced tomatoes and it wasn't until the can was already moving on the electric can opener that I realized that in my absentmindedness - I had opened a can of chickpeas instead. Oh well, slight change of plans. Kale and Chickpeas are now on the  dinner menu! 

Baby Kale & Chickpeas
Prep Time: 20 min

Ingredients:
  1. 2 x 15 oz cans of Chickpeas (about 2.5 cups of boiled chickpeas) 
  2. 6 oz of fresh Baby Kale (1 small box of pre-washed greens from the store)
  3. 1 can of Hunt's Flame Roasted, Garlic Diced Tomatoes, or 2 large fresh tomatoes
  4. 2 tbsp Garlic
  5. 3 tbsp 100% Pure Pumpkin Puree (I had leftovers, optional)
  6. 1 tsp Roasted Cumin powder
  7. 2 tsp Garam Masala
  8. 2 cups of water, or vegetable broth
  9. Salt and Pepper, to taste
  10. Fresh Cilantro/Coriander leaves for garnish
Directions:
Mix all ingredients (except for garam masala and Cilantro) together in a pan and bring to a boil, simmer for 10 minutes until kale is wilted and ingredients combine together. Or, pressure cook under high pressure for 3-5 minutes. If starting with raw chickpeas, pressure cook for as long as you normally cook chickpeas. Open immediately, mix well. Add garam masala, and garnish with cilantro and serve over brown rice. 

My Assessment: The extra pumpkin puree that I had sitting around gave the dish a faint sweetness which was countered really well by the roasted cumin. I liked it.

Julie Southwell's Tip: Top it off with some Marie Sharp's Habañero sauce. Thank you Julie!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment