November 7, 2012

Wilted Kale & Onion Salad

Because I am hypothyroid I avoid eating Goitrogenic foods. As the name implies, these are foods capable of causing Goiter. In layman's terms, these foods affect thyroid gland function by inhibiting synthesis of thyroid hormones, resulting in enlargement of the gland (aka goiter). Some examples include Brussels sprouts, Kohlrabi, Turnips, Rutabaga, Radishes, Cabbage, Kale, and Cauliflower. Cooking at least partially inactivates goitrogenic compounds in these foods so this salad, which uses New Veggie #23 - Kale, is the perfect way of getting the benefits of kale, without the adverse effects of goitrogens.

Wilted Kale & Onion Salad
Prep Time: 5-7 min

Ingredients:
  1. 1 bunch of Kale, stems removed, and leaves coarsely torn
  2. 1 medium Red Onion, julienned
  3. 1 clove of Garlic, minced
  4. 2-3 tbsp Medium Salsa, to taste
  5. Salt and Pepper, to taste.
Directions:
Rinse torn kale in cold water, drain and set aside. Line a large skillet with water. Add garlic and turn heat to medium. As soon as the garlic begins to simmer, add the julienned onions and kale. Cover, reduce heat to medium low. Within a couple of minutes, the kale will turn bright green and begin to wilt. Keep covered for 2 additional minutes. Remove lid and transfer kale to a salad bowl.  Garnish with freshly cracked black pepper, add salt if necessary and add a big dollop of medium salsa on top. Serve warm. 

Wilted Kale & Onion Salad
My Assessment: I really really like this salad and it is my go-to salad when I have a bunch of kale in the fridge and I'm not feeling like cooking anything even vaguely substantial. I also prefer this salad in cooler months because I've always hated eating a cold salad during that time of year. My body craves something warm and this works every time. I sometimes add other salad veggies to this salad including corn and sweet peppers, but it tastes great with just onions as well. The best part about kale is that it retains its crunchiness even after its been wilted for a few minutes. Enjoy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment