March 20, 2012

Jicama Chips

After 3 new veggies this past weekend, I still had one more left over from my weekend trip to the grocery store. New Veggie #18, the choice for today, is Jicama

Prep Time: 15-20 min

Ingredients:
  1. 1 Jicama tuber, thinkly sliced
  2. Pam Olive oil spray
  3. Cayenne pepper, to taste
  4. Coarse sea salt, to taste
Directions: 
Preheat oven to 400F while cleaning and preparing slices of Jicama. Spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam and sprinkle cayenne pepper. Hold the salt until after the chips are done. Place cookie sheet in oven for 5 minutes, remove and turn chips over and return to oven until done. Once done, transfer to serving plate and sprinkle sea salt to taste. 

Jicama Chips
Nik's Reaction: Mom, I want some chips! He was surprised when he first bit into one, as he was expecting the crunch of a potato chip, and these had a different kind of crunch to them. He ate 3 and didn't want anymore. Oh well .. at least he tried them!

My Assessment: I really liked them. I think the texture was kinda like biting into a raw onion, soft, yet crisp and crunchy. I'm glad I used cayenne pepper as that enhanced the sweetness of the jicama.  I'll definitely make it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment