March 4, 2012

Spicy Oyster Lo-Mein

I might as well admit it myself before one of you makes a comment about it. I'm on a mushroom kick right now. In the past 2 weeks, on my New Veggie Quest, I have tried porcini, shiitake and today .. New Vegetable #14, is also a mushroom. This time it is the Oyster Mushroom!  

I really enjoy mushrooms in stir fries and have been thinking about making Vegetable Lo-Mein from the Everyday Happy Herbivore cookbook by Lindsay Nixon. When I opened up the recipe today, I realized I didn't have several of the ingredients listed in it, so I decided to improvise, and use my Oyster mushrooms at the same time ... the end result was definitely to my liking ... 

Oyster Lo-Mein
Prep Time: 15 min

Ingredients: 
  1. 4-6 oz fresh oyster mushrooms, sliced
  2. 4-8 oz fresh snow peas, whole
  3. 2 tsp minced garlic
  4. 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  5. 2 tbsp Soy sauce
  6. 2 tbsp Annie Chun's Chinese Stir Fry Sauce
  7. 2-3 tbsp Nutritional Yeast (heaping)
  8. 1 cup boiled spaghetti
  9. 1-2 tsp Red pepper flakes (optional)
  10. Salt and pepper (freshly ground), to taste.
Directions:
Boil spaghetti and set aside. In a skillet on medium heat, add vegetable broth and garlic. Allow the garlic to release its aroma and add sauces, mix and add snow peas. Cook down for a few minutes, and then add mushrooms. Mix well, and then add spaghetti. Add salt to taste, cover and let sit for a few minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serve, with red pepper flakes (optional) and freshly ground black pepper.

The nutritional yeast makes the noodles just a tad sticky. If you want a more authentic look, you might hold back on the NY. I like it as its a great source of Vitamin B12, in my otherwise 100% plant-based diet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment