March 20, 2012

Kohlrabi Coconut Curry

I had 2 Kohlrabi (New Veggie #17) left over from the weekend and I also had some store-bought naan left over from my radicchio pizza also from the weekend. I was itching for some home-made subzi so that I could eat it with naan and this is what I came up with. 


Prep Time: 30 min.

Ingredients: 
  1. 2 small kohlrabi, finely diced (not like mine!). 
  2. 1 small onion, or a Leek, finely sliced (New Veggie #8). 
  3. 1 cup baby spinach  (or use Kohlrabi leaves)
  4. 1/2 cup coconut milk
  5. 2 tsp mustard seeds
  6. 2 tsp coriander powder
  7. 2 tsp cumin powder
  8. 1 tsp turmeric
  9. salt, to taste.
Directions:
Preheat coconut milk in a deep pan and add spices. Cook for a few minutes to release the aromas and then add onion/leek and cook for a few minutes. Then add diced kohlrabi, cover and simmer until almost cooked. Add baby spinach or chopped kohlrabi greens, allow to wilt and serve with warm naan.

Nik's Reaction: He tried 1 little piece of kohlrabi and spit it back out!

My Assessment: This meal was reminiscent of evenings at home with a sabzi and roti and I really enjoyed the feel of breaking break with my hands and rolling it around the veggies. The mustard seeds and coconut milk gave this recipe a distinctive taste of Southern India. Next time, I'm going to make kohlrabi the Punjabi way - which is what I grew up eating. Kohlrabi get an awesome A++.


No comments:

Post a Comment